Monday, March 5, 2012

IIM Lucknow Interview


Venue- IIM Lucknow, Noida Campus
Date: March 4, 2012; Sunday
Reporting time: 9AM
I reached the venue at exact 8:15AM. Sitting in the waiting room, I glanced over the headlines of the newspapers lying there. Exactly at 9:15AM we were called in. In my group, there were 11 people; 3 were absent. WAT topic was “bad news is ‘Time is flying’ and the good news is you are the pilot.” I wrote a decent essay on the importance of time and urgency of people and organisation to equip themselves better to race against time.

As soon as, we finished, GD started on the same topic. I was the second to speak. I think I took that opportunity to broadly define the topic. I made just 3 entries and made my points. A female candidate was hyperactive and blabbered most of the time. I didn’t speak much. I would rate my GD avg.

I was the fifth guy to be called for interview in my panel. The candidates before me were freshers and it seemed they were asked about lots of acads. My interview started on a very bad note. When the fourth guy came out, he told me to wait for 2 mins and then enter. I waited for 2.5 mins and knocked on the door and made an entry. One of the panellists signalled me to wait for 2 mins more. I again knocked, after 3 mins. He again told me to wait. And, he came out and started shouting on the candidates who were talking in the corridor. He then barged in, shutting the door behind him. I did not know what to do. I waited for 2-3 more mins and then again knocked. This time he lost his temper and told me that he would call me last. Now I waited outside cursing myself till he called me in.

There were 2 people in the interview panel. One was bald in his late 30s (I would call him B) and other was a slim man in his early 40s. (I would call him A)

After 5 mins, A came out to call me in. Entering the room, I apologised to both the interviewers. And, then I made a cardinal mistake.

Me: Extremely sorry sir, I pissed you off (I surely was out of my mind to use this slang). I could not hear you since it was very noisy outside.
A:  What did you say just now?
Me: (I was caught on the wrong foot) Sir, I said I am extremely sorry. I provoked your anger as I could not hear your instruction.
A: (to B) he said the same thing? I heard something different.
B: (to A) I think he said he did not hear you.
Me: Yes sir, I am really sorry.
A: No problem. Take your seat.
Me: (Relieved) Thank you, sir.
A: (Looking at the shaved-off head in my passport photo) Is this really you?
Me: (trying to bring smile back to my face) Yes, sir. I had to shave off my head as part of the rituals after my Grand-father expired.
B: (in a sympathetic tone) OK. No issues.
A: (to B who was sitting crosslegged and munching on something) He is 99.83%ile.
B: What calls have you got? All calls?
Me: Sir, I have got all IIM calls except for Shillong and Kozikode.
A: Why do you think you did not get a call from S and K
Me: Sir, Shillong gives high weightage to Graduation marks. They required 84.3 % for engineering student. Mine is 82 %. Kozikode gives high weight to 10th and 12th Marks. When I passed out, CBSE board was not giving such high percentages in the board as they do it now.  I have secured 88 and 89% in tenth and twelfth boards.
B: When did you pass your tenth?
Me: Sir, in 2002.
A: We get a lot of requests from IIT Kanpur guys for 2 to 3 months projects at IIML. I don’t understand why?
Me: Sir, Students at IIT Kanpur go for summer internship in their third year. I guess those students who have already planned to do an MBA after graduation would want exposure to management courses.
A: but, that is not for internship.
Me: sir, we do not have any formal internship course with credit at IITK. It is just that we want to use the summer breaks for something useful. For example, I did my summer intern at University of North Texas.
B: (Seemed satisfied; to A) Ya, he is right. IIT students are always in look for such things.
A: Tell me about your job experience.
Me: told them.. prepared answer..my role.. promotion.. Told them about IPR.. Different services lines of the company
A: Tell me why Chinese copy everything others make. Is there no IP there?
Me: Sir, according to TRIPS agreement of WTO, it is mandatory for every developing as well as developed country to have IP regime. US has it. India and China too have it.
A: What is TRIMS?
Me: Sir, I do not recall its full form. But, it is an agreement under WTO between countries for investment related issues. I guess every country who is part of WTO is obligated to sign it.
A: What is GAP (or GAAP, I did not what he was trying to ask. I am not sure if he said GATT)?
Me: Sorry Sir, I am not able to recall it right now.
A: Being from IPR sector, you should know it.
Me: I am sorry sir. I have not heard of this term.
A: It seems you have a good job, why do you want to do an MBA?
Me: Typical, why MBA answer. Career stagnation..flattening of learning curve.. MBA would provide impetus to career growth… Learning new management skill sets etc.
A: that means you have no growth prospects at your company right now?
Me: Sir, I got two quick promotions in my job. Now, I think the next promotions would take time. Moreover, my company hires MBAs at higher level than us.
A: You have 3 yrs of experience in IP industry. What would be your focus sector after IIM?
Me: Sir, I am not confining myself to any particular sector right now. I would use IIM as a platform to explore my career opportunities. But, I would ensure that my 3 years of experience would be in coherence with my future job.
A: but, which sector you are looking for? what are the companies you are eying for? Will you join the same company after your MBA?
Me: As I said, I would explore different options and then take a decision. I have keen interest in finance and I might pursue it….. (I do not know why said finance)
A: (cutting me in between): But you have no experience in finance. You have worked in IP sector
Me: Sir, I am not zeroing onto finance right now. I have interests in finance. However, I would evaluate my options, keeping in mind my experience in IPR sector.
A: Which companies you are eying for?
Me: Sir, I do not have any specific company in mind right now. There are many companies in IPR sector. Then, there are consulting firms like KPMG and Mckinsey. One of my seniors who passed out from IIM A got placed in McKinsey. Moreover, many companies like TCS are having their own IP divisions. Sir, there are scores of opportunities.
A: (to B) he is from Material Sciences and Metallurgy.
A: Have you heard the name of @#$ (he uttered a south Indian name, it seemed @#$ might be his friend who would be an MME professor somewhere)?
Me: Sorry sir, I do not think I have heard this name.
A: Tell me a famous metallurgist from India.
Me: (Unable to recall any famous personality) Sir, Balasubramaniam was a famous metallurgist. He was a professor at IIT Kanpur.
A: What did he work on?
Me: Sir, he researched on ‘Iron Pillar of Sanchi’ and tried to find out why it has not rusted even after so many years. (Mistake! I meant to say iron pillar of Sarnath and not Sanchi; there is no iron pillar in Sanchi. Luckily they did not notice.)
A: what were the results?
Me: (Was stumped) Sir, the research paper is not out yet. I was not the part of this research team. So, I do not know the results.
A: OK, your interview is over. You can go.
Me: Thank you sir. I am really sorry for the misunderstanding in the beginning.
B: No it happens. People were shouting outside. Don’t worry.
Me: (Standing) Thank you sirs.
I collected my certificate file and turned back to go out. I was feeling bad that they did not ask me about my extra-curriculars. I decided to turn back and show them my certificates
Me: sir, I have some certificates in sports. Would you like to see?
A: (Smiling) yes, I noticed in your application form. You seem to be very active in sports.
Me: (Reciprocating the smile) yes sir, I was part of my Institute cricket team for 4 years. I have played 4 inter-IITs.
I handed over my certificate files to ‘A’.
A: Looks impressive. You look very fit, Pratyush. You still play?
Me: (Smiling) Thank you, sir. Whenever I get time I play. One thing I really missed after graduating from IITK is sports. I am looking forward to being on IIM cricket ground.
A: (Laughing) Good, if you get into any one of the old IIMs or even IIML you would get chance to play again. (Looking at ‘B’) He is also a fitness buff. You might be a good friend to him.
Me: (Smiling) It would be my pleasure, sir.
A: Given you get selected for A, B, C and L, will you join L?
Me: Sir, to be honest, I would evaluate A and B for my first priority and then analyse C and L. Sir, I have some of my friends studying in all these IIMs. I would talk to them and take a decision.
A: OK.
Me: Thank you, sirs. It was pleasure to be here.

Overall I think I was good in the interview. I was smiling through-out and was not nervous. Mistakes I committed were grave; luckily I think I got away with them.

I was very disappointed by the interview set-up. It seemed interviewers were not happy coming for the interview on Sunday. They were quick to lose temper. In the interview, it did not look as if they were trying to know me. The questions were superficial. ‘B’ was just sitting there and did not ask me a single question. ‘B’ was in his jeans and t-shirt and messed-up hair. They did not even verify my background. I had submitted by relieve letter but they were asking me questions as if I was still working. I too pretended as working. It never felt like an IIM interview. Not sure about the result. Your feedback and comment will certainly help. 

No comments:

Post a Comment